Thursday, October 20, 2016

Martha Graham-A Dancing Pioneer


For this blog, I decided to write about a well known dancing pioneer and one of my role models, Martha Graham. Martha Graham is an American dancer, choreographer, and instructor who is considered to be one of the major figures of modern dance. Her style was said to be influenced by Picasso and other modern visual artists. Her style of dance challenged and broke the norms of dancing during the early modern era. Abstract shapes and unique choreography is what made Martha Graham stand out from the rest of the dancers during this era.
Her work was often criticized and referred to as "ugly" but despite the harsh opinions of others Martha still stuck true to her style. I love this about her because she wasn't afraid to be herself and continued to do what she loved despite what people thought about her. My favorite quote by Martha Graham is "Great dancers are not great because of their technique, they are great because of their passion." This quote is what inspires me to dance and I hope you can see through my blog just how much I enjoy dancing.



No comments:

Post a Comment