Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Tutting

A type of dance move that is very popular in the world of Hip-Hop is called Tutting. Tutting is a street dance and one of the original funk styles that came from California during the late 1960s–1970s. Arms and hands are what are mostly used when performing a Tutting dance move. The choreography for the arms and hands are derived from the positions people were drawn in the days of the Ancient Egyptians. Therefore, a Tutting dance move should be very similar to the dance positions found in the Egyptian culture. Hence, why it is called "Tutting".
During one of the Hip-Hop dance classes that I attended, I was taught a short Tutting combination. My legs remained in place, while my arms and hands did all of the moving. I started off in a "base" position with both my arms flat out in front of me and ended with both arms extended out to my side. In the photo below, the positions I performed in this combination started with the photo on the top left and ended with the photo on the bottom right.  


No comments:

Post a Comment